he statue of the Scourged Saviour was erected in 1730 for a pilgrimage but was subsequently put into storage in an attic. In 1738 the peasant woman Maria Lory, having retrieved the statue, saw tears and drops of blood on the statue. The news quickly spread, more and more pilgrims came, and soon the wooden village chapel, built in 1740, was no longer enough to accommodate them all. The foundation stone for the current church was laid in 1746. Two brothers from neighbouring Wessobrunn were responsible for the realisation of this multifaceted work of art in the elaborately ornamental rococo style. The altarpiece is by the Munich court painter Balthasar August Albrecht while the statues of the four fathers of the western church – Jerome, Ambrose, Augustine and Gregory the Great – are the work of the Tyrolean sculptor Anton Sturm.